Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Knower of the Field

So this week, well for today more specifically, the Arjuna is talking to Krisna about the body and how to reach Brahman.  A lot of what is covered here we have already covered in class through the discussion of the sutras. The idea that there are vriti and things that hinder the ability for someone to reach Brahman, and three states of activity of sattva, rajas and tamas.  Then how to reach past these, among other aspects to reach Brahman.  It also makes a lot of sense that if Arjuna is the creator of all, that he would be the first seed of the field that is each person. The way he describes it in that each person is a field, and to know Arjuna they have to know their field is a really interesting way of saying that to reach Brahman, you must first dwell in your own true nature. I honestly like this way better because I think the analogy that it creates is better at explaining the overall goal than simply saying, "dwell in your own true nature."  I also liked how at the end of 14, Krisna asks Arjuna what someone in Brahman looks like and the image that Arjuna presents is not what I would first picture.  I personally would think that it is more of a place of joy and peace and that isnt exactly what is described.  Instead it is more of a equilibrium of all senses and emotions and states.  Which granted would probably bring peace, but it is more of being neutral to all and therefore able to find joy in everything.

As far as my own practice goes, I have some good and bad news.  The good news is I was able to touch my toes easily for the first time last week.  But when I tried yesterday and today I haven't been able to without stretching to the point of pain again for the last inch or 2, Im not sure of this is because Im not as loose in the morning so its a bad time to try, or that because I was able to do it I have focused more on other posed and not worked on stretching as much.  It think it may be a combo of the two so I think im going to go back to more of the stretching poses to work and maintain that. Its just kinda sad because I love the more restorative and relaxing poses with my busy life and I dont see how I have time to work both currently.

In class, I was upset that we didnt have class Thursday. Its kinda funny because I know even with my practice that times get moved around due to my other schedules and things, I can always count on having 45 mins to an hour of yoga in class and not having that was weird and I could tell a noticeable different in my attitude for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment