Thursday, November 5, 2015

The BG

For this required blog post, I think I will be talking about something that most everyone else will be as well.  This is mainly because we have spoken about it at length in class, but also just because it is something that is very apparent in the writing.
            The connection between the ideas of morality and how to live a good life expressed by Arjuna and the way in which Christ instructs Christians to live in the Bible.  I have already talked a little about his in some previous blog posts about specific readings, but this will be a bit more of a holistic view with some other commentary on the structure and overall feelings of the Bhagaavad Gita, or BG for short because I don’t want to have to look up how to type it every time since I’m lazy.
            So, now to the good stuff.  I know I have already talked about how I found a strong connection with the different names that Arjuna gives himself as god and creator of everything and the different names that Christ and God have in the Christian tradition.  This was brought more into light the other day when my mother sent me my biweekly “T Time.”  To give a little background, T Time is an email that I get every week or so since I have come to college and it is what my mom has been praying over me for that week or upcoming month.  Each time she does this, she gives me a different name of God that she is praying over me because of the connotation that the name means and how it will help me for whatever I have going on that week.  This latest one, the 11th for the year, was Jehovah-Raah or “The Lord is my Shepherd.”  Some previous ones from this year alone are; El Elyon, The God most high and El Rio, the God who sees.  Seeing a lot of these same aspects and names in the BG like how Arjuna is the wisdom of the wise and the goodness of the virtuous is really cool. Not to mention the fact that the chapter title in our version of the BG that we are reading is titled Divine Splendor.  Which if that dosnt also fit perfectly the names of God then I don’t know what does.  Thinking on the names that my mother has sent me of god brings out a new aspect of his greatness to me every time I think about it because it is a way in which I used to not think about him. 
            Moving on from the introspective, I have really enjoyed reading the BG. A lot more than I thought I would, even though I cant pronounce the title.  I don’t really know what I was expecting to start, maybe something more the yoga sutras and not so much a story. Which granted it is still very much like the sutras, but in more of a story context.  Except the story is kinda weak and nonexistent because  time is stopped so Arjuna and Krisna don’t get killed while sitting in their chariot in the middle of a battle, and never really gets into any of the battle stuff. Honestly a bit upsetting for me personally because I like that sort of thing, but it dosnt quite fit and flow well with the moral of the story.

            Anyways, enough rambling from me now, the like 3 people who read this will be plenty more of that as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment