Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The 3 People

The last two chapters here in the BG focus a lot on the three states of people. If that is an accurate way to describe them. Sattva, Rajas and Tamas.  Arjuna asks Krishna to describe the type of people who fall into each of the three categories of people.  While Krishna was going through these chapters doing this I got a bit confused.  It seems the Sattva is by far the best state of nature for someone to be in. In practically every way it was the preferred, holy or neutral.  Rajas wasnt the worst as it had some good qualities and some bad, while Tamas was typically the worst of the three every time.  What is strange, is that while reading and discussing the sutras in class, it never really seemed that one was better than another. More importantly, it always seemed that a balance of all was best. It dosnt seem that way with Krishna.  He is putting a lot more emphasis on Sattva than either Rajas or Tamas.  It will be interesting to discuss that in class.

I have started working on my hamstrings again for my personal practice, but havnt noticed much improvement again yet. Not that I was really expecting it after only another week when it took me about 4 weeks last time.  But I will keep going with it and see what happens.  I think I will start to incorporate a little more of a variety as well.  In class we went over the "classes" of poses in terms or twisting poses, inverted poses, standing poses, etc and trying to do at least one of each or focus on one or two groups would be more beneficial to my practice than random poses I remember or things I want to try.

I missed last Thursday in class again, and again I could tell a noticeable different in how I felt.  Its really weird because I never thought that I would get to the point where missing yoga has a noticeable impact on how I am feeling. Forget the fact that I never thought I was going to really do yoga in the first place.  However, as far as what I hope for future classes is to set a better base of knowledge of poses that once class is over I can still carry on a meaningful practice since I am still relying on class time a bit more than my personal practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment