Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The bhagavad gita, or however your pronouce it


Wow, even after reading only the first two chapter so the Bhagavad Gita I can tell that it is going to be an intense book.  Never mind the fat that I cant pronounce the title of the book correctly, let alone any of the characters.  The story has a very epic tone to it, while bringing in philosophy to a point that I really havnt seen in many other epic tales. Im excited to get into the book and butcher all the names.  Moving on past those first few ramblings, the key issue that is brought up here is the dire contrast of courses of action for the protagonist, at least I think he is so far, Arjuna.  As a the leader of a “rebel” group within the kingdom he is trying to gain the throne as it is rightfully his.  The only issue is that those on the throne are his uncle and family.  So the moral dilemma begins.  Does Arjuna follow his quest to right the wrong done by his family and gain the throne, or does he not because in doing so would bring about the slaughter and destruction of his own relatives.  It really is a catch 22.  The funny thing is Ive been in a somewhat similar situation. Prior to earning my pilot slot for the Air Force I was looking heavily in going into special operations.  I had gone to an orientation course that is designed to give the selectors a first look at those interested and dedicated enough to try out, and those attending the ability to see first-hand what the job is and what those men do.  After this I applied for a selection and was invited to attend.  This is where my own moral dilemma begins.  I am in a very committed relationship and care deeply about my family and have a very strong idea of the type of husband and father I want to be. Learning about those jobs and careers and meeting men in them, I learned that it would not allow me uphold the way I wanted to treat my family.  Even though it was what I wanted to do, and I was dead set on doing it.  It took a lot of thinking, and guidance to make my decision and I am interested to see what type of guidance Arjuna gets considering the heavy yoga philosophical influence.

                Continuing on with the asana practices in class, I would like to see the time taken with those to increase. Part of that is because I am really enjoying them a lot, and the other part is because I don’t think the discussions over the Bhagavad Gita will take nearly as much time as those over the sutras and other philosophical aspects of yoga. However, I have a hunch that I am wrong based in that regard. The other thing that I would like to see in the asana is more of a flow time.  I think that would be really cool because it would let us see how far we have come since the first day, and then doing that occasionally would let us see our progress in a way, both in terms of flexibility and stuff but also in terms of the types of poses we have learned.

                Lastly, this past week was also rough on my personal practice. With midterms and papers to write I was very busy and stressed out and dint have time to do yoga.  Which is ironic because yoga is something that is really good at de-stressing me and allowing me to calm down and focus.  I just get caught in the moment of what is going on and the stress and pressure placed on me that I don’t think to stop and do yoga to calm down and center before moving on and dealing with the stress and other things I am trying to do.

1 comment:

  1. That is a really great example about the Gita in your own life. We'll shoot for a bit more yoga today.

    ReplyDelete