Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Renouncing, Meditating, and Acting....because those all go together

So these two chapters of the Bhagavad Gita are interesting.  First it talks about the different between action and renunciation and which is better.  Krishna then goes on to say action is better.  It really reminded me of Machiavelli's The Prince and the discussion on if it is better to be feared or loved as a ruler with Machiavelli eventually saying that if you had to pick one, then it is better to be feared.  The reason that Krishna says why action is better almost seems against a lot of the philosophy we have talked about so far.  Action, so says Krishna, is better because the wise see knowledge and action as the same. He goes on to say how the person who is established in one path gets the rewards of both. But he could just as easily be talking about action and renunciation as he is about action and knowledge.  The weird part is renunciation is more in line with yoga philosophy than action, but it requires action to complete.  So my question is if something is harder to obtain, and you must do something else first to obtain it, then isnt it better than what you do to obtain it? It just seems a bit off to me.  Not only that, but in the next chapter Krishna goes on to talk about meditation and how you must be in balance with all things to properly meditate. So things like not sleeping to much or to little, eating to much or to little, etc.  However, wouldnt it be better to renounce sleep or food to make sure you dont have too much, as opposed to purposely committing an action too?  It all just seems like it should all go together as one big thing your supposed to do with no particular part better than the rest that can superseded it all to let you achieve Brahman.

For class, I really enjoyed the inversions we did and the restorative poses.  I like the idea of spending an entire asana time working on one or two poses to really learn them and what they are supposed to do for you.  Also learning about other forms of yoga that we can incorporate into our own practice is nice because sometimes I get tired of doing warrior poses or need something that is more restorative based on the week I have had and where I am mentally.

As far as my own practice, I did try to incorporate both inversions and restorative poses into it. However, it is kinda hard to do a headstand in my apartment due to space and things on the wall so I might need to rethink where I will be practicing those in the future.  The restorative poses were really nice as I have been really stressed lately with different things so having more time to focus on breathing and such really let me calm down and find a inner space to de-stress and focus my mind.  the inversions did help the little I was able to do them as I have started to feel my allergies come on and wow do those clear up your sinuses.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of focusing on the form of poses also. That is really a fascinating comparison between Machiavelli and BG.

    ReplyDelete