Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The 8 fold path

While reading the eight-fold path, I got a little confused to be honest.  So I get there are 8 limbs, and what those are.  Next there are the yamas.  And I understand what those are. Lastly, there are the observances, and I get what those are.  What I dont get is how they all work together. Im assuming it is like some of the earlier sutras where the different aspects are how you work towards the higher goal, and then there are what get in the way of that.  So are the 8 limbs the higher goal, with the yamas being how you achieve them and the nthe observances get in the way? I know we will go over it in class today but right now trying to get into them myself is a bit of a struggle.

As far as class goes, I am still loving the yoga.  It is the main reason I took this class in the first place and we are starting to get into some of the more advanced poses, but also how the sutras and what we discuss at the beginning of class interact with those poses.  The discussions are still good and I think its really cool that we are able to spend so much time getting into what they mean that we are kinda forced to stop so we have time to do a small asana practice.  I still wish I was more flexible so I was able to do some of the poses better, Im pretty good with the shoulder stand and things that require more muscle than flexibility simply because that is what I have always focused on.

As far as my outside practice, Im starting to get a bit discouraged.  Just because with life and classes and everything else going on I have struggled to find time for it.  Not only am I struggling to find time, but the more we get into the sutras, the more I realize that my personal practice is kinda pathetic. Knowing it is something that takes persistent devotion to achieve, I see myself not doing that and being somewhat of a perfectionist and someone who takes pride in working hard to achieve a goal but not seeing many fruits, it is hard to want to keep trying to find time and do the little bit I can.

1 comment:

  1. Krishna tells Arjuna not to despair. Even the smallest effort on the path is never wasted.

    ReplyDelete